Data is a valuable asset for any organization, but it is essential for nonprofits
, who rely on data to measure their impact and achieve their goals. In this blog, we cover data backup best practices that nonprofits can implement today.
Backup Best Practices
Nonprofits collect and store a wide range of data, from donor information to program evaluations, and it is crucial to have a reliable backup plan in place to protect this data in case of an emergency.
Here are some best practices for backing up data for nonprofits:
- Develop a data backup plan. The first step in implementing a successful data backup plan is to identify which data needs to be backed up, how often it needs to be backed up, and where it should be stored. It is important to involve key stakeholders in the organization in this process to ensure that all relevant data is included in the plan.
- Use multiple backup methods. In order to protect your data from potential disasters, it is important to use multiple backup methods. This could include onsite backups, such as an external hard drive or server, as well as offsite backups, such as a cloud-based storage service or a remote backup server.
- Test your backups regularly. It is not enough to simply create backups; you need to test them to make sure they are working properly regularly. This involves restoring the backups and ensuring that the data can be accessed and is complete and accurate.
- Store backups in a secure location. It is important to store backups in a secure location to protect them from physical damage or theft. This could include a fireproof and waterproof safe for onsite backups, or a secure data center for offsite backups.
- Update your backups regularly. As your organization collects and stores new data, it is important to regularly update your backups to ensure that all of your organization’s valuable data is protected. This could involve daily, weekly, or monthly backups, depending on the amount of data and the needs of your organization.
By following these best practices for data backup, nonprofits can protect their valuable data and ensure that it is available in case of an emergency. This can help nonprofits to maintain their operations and continue to make a positive impact in their communities.
Protecting your data is essential to your organizational leaders’ peace of mind. Cross the Divide’s cloud-based backup solutions are tailored to meet your organization’s needs, offering effective and flexible storage that flexes as you need it. Have more questions, we’re here to help. Contact us to learn more about our data backup solutions.